Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  $100k expansion options…what are good options?

Posted 08-18-2023 12:56 PM

If you have an existing property with some room to expand…you've got $100k to spend…what will create solid value add?

1) NOKE locks?

2) adding portable storage? (Containers?  MASS Units from Janus or another source?) 

3) paint your property?

4) seal coat your drives or improve your drives?

these are examples…what do you all think would be good?

John McAfee 214-923-0070

------------------------------
    John McAfee
    The Storage Place - DFW, Frisco
    Frisco TX
    (214) 923-0070

• 2.  RE: $100k expansion options…what are good options?

Posted 08-18-2023 02:16 PM
    Preserving your current income stream would be my highest priority. So I would paint and seal coat to keep my site worthy of tenant retention and their satisfaction,
    and better potential of higher rents.
    Then I would do the portable storage.

• 3.  RE: $100k expansion options…what are good options?

Posted 08-19-2023 09:43 AM
    Thanks Mike...good advice.  JMc

• 4.  RE: $100k expansion options…what are good options?

Posted 08-19-2023 10:09 AM

That depends on several factors. The first thing to take a hard look at is where there might be room to increase revenue. Remember, even at a ridiculous 10 cap rate, every $1000 you add to your NOI equals an additional $10k in sales price. If there is some low hanging fruit there, then your priority would be a solid revenue management program bolstered by an aggressive marketing campaign to maintain high level occupancy. This will maximize revenue and therefore, maximize sale price. 

Monty Rainey
    Chief Executive Officer
    RPM Storage Management/SQubed
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 832-9496

• 5.  RE: $100k expansion options…what are good options?

Posted 08-25-2023 10:35 AM

How about investing in Solar panels?  The federal government is handing out 40% tax credits on the installation cost .  This assumes you're using American made products that provide a 10% tax credit bonus.  30% is the standard tax credit no matter what you use.  Add to this a MACRS accelerated asset depreciation over 5 years and I think you've got a win-win that is hard to beat.  

You've reduced your utility bill, "gone green", and not bothered any tenants to get it done.  

Justin Vosburg
    Property & Equipment Supervisor
    Affordable Attic Self Storage
    Harlingen TX

• 6.  RE: $100k expansion options…what are good options?

Posted 08-26-2023 09:57 AM

The domestic content bonus is proving harder to achieve than originally thought. I would however recommend checking if your project is located in an energy community. That is another 10% tax bonus you can achieve.  

you can check your address on this tool from the DOE  

https://arcgis.netl.doe.gov/portal/apps/experiencebuilder/experience/?id=a2ce47d4721a477a8701bd0e08495e1d

Happy to field any questions you may have regarding going solar - no obligations. 

Brian Regnier
    Big Sun Solar
    San Antonio TX
    (210) 960-2303