Manager's Corner

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Covid 19 as signature on Certified Mail

Posted 02-16-2022 11:31 AM
    This is the first time I have seen this...the green card from a certified Notice of Claim came back signed Covid 19 and the Agent box checked. I did a quick google search and see this started with the pandemic. The USPS said that the mail carrier could sign for the person they were delivering to in order to maintain "social distance". Which seems weird since they still have to hand them the envelope, but no sense arguing that point. Anyway, my question is...can I still consider that the tenant's signature and auction this property legally according to our TSSA lease?

------------------------------
    JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 2.  RE: Covid 19 as signature on Certified Mail

Posted 02-16-2022 11:36 AM

JoLea,

Great question. The green card for certified mail is not required by the statute (hasn't been since 2012), so that is something that members would use just because they believe it is a better way to prove up notification to the tenant. 

Chapter 59 requires the claim notice be sent via verified mail, which means any type of mailing that provides evidence of mailing (i.e. a receipt of some kind), or via email if the tenant provided an email on the lease and your TSSA lease is at least as new as the 2012 version, which is when that language was added.

The days of the green cards may be fading away, especially if the tenant or someone in that household isn't even signing it when the letter is delivered.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 3.  RE: Covid 19 as signature on Certified Mail

Posted 02-17-2022 11:36 AM

We quit doing the green card several years back.  We require tenants to have an email address for notification purposes.  I was a great day when TSSA was able to get the law changed so email notifications was considered the same as certified or verified mail.

Douglas Hunt

Owners Management Co.

Access Self Storage

OMC Gate Co.

3404 N. I-35E

Lancaster, TX 75134

Off -214-742-9499

Cell- 214-236-7474

• 4.  RE: Covid 19 as signature on Certified Mail

Posted 02-17-2022 11:43 AM
    Yes, I suppose I have been doing overkill since I do both ways of notification. Seems like it's time to get with the times and give up the green card :)

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867