Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-11-2023 02:07 PM

Hi All.  I keep battling an issue with weeds/brush/vines popping up on my gravel lot.  I'm constantly weed eating, spraying weed/brush killer (farm grade), and spreading salt/ice melt to try and prevent weeds from growing constantly.  Does anyone have a better solution then what I've been trying to do?  What I do seems to be constant maintenance and would like to know if there's something else I can do that I'm not aware of to permanently (or at least on a longer term) keep those weeds from growing.  My storage lot is an all gravel lot, 2 acres.

Thanks in Advance - Enrique / 1 Storage Place, Tool, TX

------------------------------
    Enrique Ayala
    1 Storage Place
    Fort Worth TX
    (469) 230-6593

• 2.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-12-2023 01:05 PM

We have THE SAME issues.  If anybody can give us the same advice.  We would appreciate it.  

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 3.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-12-2023 02:27 PM
    One idea: compare your current cost of labor to keep weed free vs. long term solution of no weeds by installing a rolled base surface. The one time cost may be worth it, especially when factoring in you have a better product that may command higher rent.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-13-2023 11:50 AM
    Don't know if it will help in your situation but we have concrete and have had to spray the joints and cracks every month or two. We got RM-43 Total vegetation control from Tractor Supply. It keep the weeds killed in the cracks for months. I has a preemergent and weed killer in it as well.

• 5.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-13-2023 03:27 PM

I have rocked roads as well.  Actually everything is rocked between slabs.  Decided against concrete due to the Tax Appraisal office view of concrete road or paved road values.

I use Remedy and RM-43 combined - both available at Tractor Surprise.  Ground MUST have moisture in order to get a good kill.  We wait for a decent rain and temps @ 80+. 

I use Tempo (Bug killer) also available at Tractor Surprise. 

Surprise is because you never know if they will have something in stock.  LOL

Thomas Kent
    United Storage of Bowie
    Bowie TX
    (972) 672-2120

• 6.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-14-2023 10:21 AM

Hello,

So question, Do you fix Remedy and RM-43 together or use them separately? Thanks 

Theresa Westfall
    Sr Property Manager
    Lucille Hobock Family In Rem Partnership
    Cypress TX
    (281) 256-2800

• 7.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-14-2023 10:26 AM
    Together and with a surfactant. Surfactant (sp), is used to "wet" the leaves. Without it liquid will just roll off. You can use dish soap (small amount) in your spray batch. Allows the spray to "stick" to the leaves.

Texas law requires all real estate licensees to give
    the following information about brokerage services to prospective buyers, tenants, sellers and landlords.

Information About Brokerage Services
    Thomas Kent

Parker Properties|Realtor
    Cell: 972-672-2120

www.unitedstoragebowietx.com

• 8.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-14-2023 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I currently use RM-43 and spread ice melt (sodium chloride) to kill the weeds and prevent regrowth.  I'll continue doing that and track my costs.  If it ever comes close to the cost for rolled asphalt millings, we'll make the move.

Enrique

• 9.  RE: Weeds Keep Popping Up on Gravel Log (Outdoor Boat & RV Storage Lot)

Posted 12-15-2023 08:45 AM
    Some great suggestions here.

One thing I thought about that hasn't been mentioned yet is that whoever is mowing your lawn could be mowing towards the driveways when they mow. This happened to me after I just 
    layed down new gravel. I wasn't happy about it and brought it up to the lawn care person immediately. 

If grass gets in between the rocks and it rains you will have more grass and weeds popping up on an ongoing basis. 

--
    Sincerely,

Scott Smith | Managing Partner
    Visionary Asset Management, LLC
    Self Storage Investments, Owner/Operator