Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 09-25-2023 01:38 PM

Hello everyone. I have a few questions and would like others take on them please.

We had a flood back in 1998 here in Texas, and yes we were affected. Ever since then 1998 we have had to add on every contract that we were indeed flooded so as to not have a fraud charge for not letting the tenant know...

For reasons I will never understand we were broke into a week ago, several units were broken into and there stuff taken....Well my question is Do we now have to put on the contract that we have been broken into and several units were stolen from?

On the flood issue we were not accountable for the flood, (Act of Nature) it was the fact that we had not informed the new tenants going forward. Would it be the same now, we have to inform any and all that we have been burglarized?

Thoughts on the matter please? What have you done after you have been burglarized?

Thank you for your time,

Tammy

------------------------------
    Andrea Kelly
    Owner
    McQueeney Mini Storage
    Mc Queeney TX
    (830) 557-6663

• 2.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-17-2023 02:01 PM

Hello Andrea,

I wouldn't mention that you have been burglarized. Solve the issue to the best of your ability. 

Thanks, 

Raheem

Raheem Amer
    President
    Plano TX
    (630) 660-2637Raheem Amer
    President
    Plano TX
    (630) 660-2637

• 3.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-18-2023 10:19 AM
    I do not volunteer the information but if asked will tell the new tenant the truth and explain how we handled the situation and what we have done to prevent future break ins.

Hope this helps,

Jeanne Dube
    Solid Ground Storage
    Elgin, TX 

• 4.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-18-2023 10:52 AM

Hi Andrea,

I have been broken into many times; I have not mentioned it to new tenants unless they ask. I will not lie, but I will not give information if asked.

As for flooding, in our TSSA lease, we do have a statement that says. We are not responsible for floods, natural disasters, insects, theft, fire, etc. I hope this helps.

Theresa

Theresa Westfall
    Sr Property Manager
    Lucille Hobock Family In Rem Partnership
    Cypress TX
    (281) 256-2800

• 5.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-19-2023 10:20 AM
    One think that has helped us is stressing the importance of using of using disk locks. They are much harder to get into. 

• 6.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-20-2023 01:36 PM

Hello Everyone!

First let me say Thank you to all of you for your advice.

Just as important My name is Tammy, I am the office manager not Andrea who is the owner of the storage facility. My questions, concerns, thoughts are all mine.... Please do not hold it against The storage facility, or the owners Andrea, Kirk... 

With all that said ..... I wrote for advice/thoughts due to us being broken into a few times in just 3 weeks.  When I started here just about 5 months ago I was told of a flood that happened in 1998 here in McQueeney Texas, and that the Storage buildings were impacted by that flood. With that said it is my understanding that we were privately sued for Fraud cause they were not made aware of this flood. It is now hand written and verbally spoken that we were affected in the big flood of 1998...So if that has to be done for flooding (act of nature) it makes me feel like.... I should have to put that on the contract as well, for theft. 

We do require Disc Locks only be used, we use video surveillance as well...But theft is theft and out of my control....So the question is Do I put (hand write it next to the flood) it on the contract that we have had theft in the past as to not be sued? 

Again friends Tammy Not Andrea

Andrea Kelly
    Owner
    McQueeney Mini Storage
    Mc Queeney TX
    (830) 557-6663

• 7.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-25-2023 10:17 AM

Hi Tammy,

We have been in a similar position. We have flooded, twice actually, and have a disclaimer on our Tenant Information Form that everyone fills out and signs when they lease a space with us. It is not on our lease and I only speak about it if someone asks. But we haven't been sued or advised by a lawyer so that's where our circumstances differ.

We have had some break ins and do not have a disclaimer about that anywhere. However, in my script for explaining the TSSA lease when they sign it, I say that the most important paragraph of the lease is the Notice to Tenant and Release. I explain that it basically says we do not insure their property for any reason including theft, weather acts, or mold. I tell them we cannot insure things we do not own. We do not offer a tenant coverage program because none of them offer true flood coverage so I tell them they should contact their own insurance agent for coverage of their contents. Oh and I am always truthful when someone asks a direct question. Hope this is helpful. Happy to talk about it more offline if needed.

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 8.  RE: Tenants aware of break ins?

Posted 10-22-2023 10:21 PM

post a huge sign the size your entire street facing wall of your facility stating that thieves target your location.  (NOT).

I agree, if asked, be honest and advise what you do to prevent in future.

If not asked, do not share it.

When you open a bank account do you think they tell you if they have ever been robbed?

When you visit a grocery store do they tell you if anyone has shoplifted from them?

Obviously not.  So true with your facility.  

I believe in not volunteering but being truthful if asked.

David Fisher
    Managing Director
    Fisher Global Development, LLC D/B/A Imperial Storage Solutions
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 391-2510