Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Tenant Turn over?

Posted 11-08-2022 04:11 PM
    We are closing in our 2nd year in business. Our first year we had 130ish move ins and 62ish move outs. I say ish because we changed management programs about 3 months in and I would have to dig the paper work out to take a look. This YTD we have had 114 move ins and 101 move outs. When asking the customers, there are various reasons as to why they are moving out. Some use their RVs for work, others sold them, some are putting them in RV parks and renting them out to freinds or family.

If anyone else is willing to share the same info as I did I am curious to know what your turn over rate is. 

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Carl Schach
    Owner/Operator
    North Edinburg RV and Boat Storage LLC
    Edinburg TX
    (956) 533-1205

• 2.  RE: Tenant Turn over?

Posted 11-10-2022 11:42 AM
    Hi Carl,

2021 was a very different year than most and the post pandemic economic crazy will play with our numbers as well. I wouldn't use the numbers from these couple of years as a measuring stick. 2021 we had a gain of 70 units...that's a huge gain for us. Normally we stay around the 20 to 30 range. This year, we have a year to date loss of 10 units.  So, we have definitely had more turn over as you have. We have 380 units and have been here for 30 years so we have seen lots of fluctuations and trends. That being said...in my experience, move outs are just as much a part of our business as move ins. We are usually a temporary solution for people. The folks that stay for years are great but not usually the majority. Hope this is a helpful answer for you. Happy to clarify anything if needed.

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 3.  RE: Tenant Turn over?

Posted 11-11-2022 08:06 AM
    JoLea,

Thank you for the reply. As I mentioned we are a fledgling in the business. With not quite 2 yrs under our belt we really dont have anything to go off of that I feel is solid data. I appreciate you sharing with us. We are currently up 13 units over ending of last year, and we will see what the remainder of this year brings. We just expanded our parking area to open up more available spots. We also just wrote a check for some advertising on the local golf course score cards. We are very curious to see the return if any on that investment. 

Again, thanks for sharing.

Carl Schach
    Owner/Operator
    North Edinburg RV and Boat Storage LLC
    Edinburg TX
    (956) 533-1205