Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Tenant Identification

Posted 03-23-2023 01:13 PM

Hello. Newer operator here. What is the standard (or TXSSA's recommendation) when it comes to collecting ID's for tenants? Is this recommended or discouraged? If you require it at your facility, how has it benefitted you in terms of operations and connecting/dealing with tenants? I am wondering if I can remove this as a requirement from my software provider so it is 1) one less step for the customer and 2) doesn't hold us liable if there was a data breach. However, I haven't been in business long enough to know if there is real value in getting government-issued IDs either so wanted to ask this group. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ryan Stalling
    Steel Roots Storage LLC
    Waxahachie TX
    (972) 921-7309

• 2.  RE: Tenant Identification

Posted 03-28-2023 03:54 PM

I hope you receive some operational guidance from other TSSA members in the community to help answer your question. Here is an article the legal counsel recently penned about storing tenant information that may address the second part of your question regarding a data breach. 

Kristy Spurr
    Deputy Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 3.  RE: Tenant Identification

Posted 03-29-2023 06:22 PM
    We require a copy of the tenant's driver's license or another form of ID. Do not make copies of military IDs. We have made it a company requirement and will turn away a customer who won't provide an ID. It comes down to each operator's decision. Most of our customers are storing RVs or work trailers and they appreciate the additional scrutiny required of anyone with access to the property.

We keep an electronic copy in sitelink.

Michael Meylor

• 4.  RE: Tenant Identification

Posted 03-29-2023 09:27 AM

Hi Ryan,

From a risk perspective, I would review if you have data breach protection on your insurance policy. If not, I can help. Great facility! 

Dusty Lucy
    Owner
    Alycen Lucy Insurance Agency
    Austin TX
    (512) 280-5977