Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Storedge Credit Card Fees

• 1.  Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-02-2024 10:05 AM

Hello Fellow TSSA Members and Happy New Year.

Is anyone aware of a method using Storedge to charge the customers using credit cards with the cc fee vs us absorbing it?
    I know in some industries such as co-working, this is commonly done.

------------------------------
    David Fisher
    Managing Director
    Fisher Global Development, LLC D/B/A Imperial Storage Solutions
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 391-2510

• 2.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-03-2024 12:25 PM
    I have asked for this update to the Easy Self Storage software but I guess there aren't enough people that have asked for this feature yet. They say to use the Fee option but this would be manual and hard to keep up with.

• 3.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 09:25 AM

It is very simple...  what is the request??  We want to have the capability of having any customers that use credit or debit cards to pay the credit card fees (reverse fee).
    Why?  This fee is very high with Sitelink/Storedge and it is a convenance for the customer, it is not uncommon to have the customer pay.  Happens at gas stations, co-working, and many other industries.,.....

Sitelink -  (888)403-0665
    Storedge -  (888)403-0665
    Storedge (Storable) does first what their customer base demands.
    Storedge is a great software, we all know that.
    So now what we need to do is all, every one of us, call support and ask for a technical upgrade to allow the facility (that is us) to charge the customer for the credit card fees.
    It is not uncommon in many many many industries.
    The fees we pay are high.
    The response from Storedge tech support is that we simply should just increase the rental rate, but that is counterintuitive as it would then cost us more to rent the unit as an increased rental rate may put us out of the market (competitively) and it also just adds more credit card fees which Storedge (Storable) makes money off of.
    If everyone would contact Storedge (Storable) (888)403-0665  at and request this feature, then it will 

David Fisher

Fisher Global Development

Group of Companies

Care to schedule a call?

(281) 391-2510 o.| (281) 794-2361 c.

david@fishergloballlc.com

www.fishergloballlc.com

15500 Voss Road, Suite 204, Sugar Land, Texas 77498

United States Air Force Veteran                                                     Veteran Owned Company                    

• 4.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 10:58 AM

I thought it was illegal to charge credit card surcharge fees and there are fines to penalize those who do it? 

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 5.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 11:07 AM
    That is absolutely incorrect.
    Have you not seen gas stations that have a cash price and a credit price?
    I run and operate co-working and co-warehousing and that software has the ability to bill customers for the credit card fees.
    It is not illegal; many credit card processors actually allow this functionality.

David Fisher

Group of Companies

Care to schedule a call?

www.fishergloballlc.com

United States Air Force Veteran                                                     Veteran Owned Company                    

• 6.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 11:21 AM

Surcharges must not exceed the swipe fee imposed by the merchants' credit card company. A business must not "profit" from the surcharge by itself; instead, the surcharge must be a dollar-for-dollar passthrough charge imposed on the customer to cover the cost of the swipe fee. There's a legal article on page 234 of the Goldbook that speaks more to this and may be helpful.

Kristy Spurr
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 7.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 11:34 AM
    that is great, I am not looking to profit, I am only looking to pass the fee back to the customer who chooses the convenance to using a credit or debit card vs. us as a storage facility operator paying these ever increasing fees.
    Other industries commonly pass this back to the customer and it is  becoming more common place.
    So my request is having the TSSA community and maybe beyond to ASK OUR SOFTWARE SUPPORT, to allow us to do this too.
    In my case we use STOREDGE, they make a bunch of money on fees.  I am not asking to take money away from them, I am just allowing them to add a feature to allow the customer to be billed for the fees.
    If ENOUGH OF US ask, then we can get this approved.
    If I am the only one, then we can continue to pay the fees for our customers and we can continue to incur thousands of dollars of monthly credit card fees.

So who is willing to call support their software support teams and ask for this feature.
    It is not going to happen without a group effort.
    TSSA is a big group.  It would get people's attention.
    Do not wait for the other guy to do it as it requires EVERYONE!

David Fisher

Group of Companies

Care to schedule a call?

www.fishergloballlc.com

• 8.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 11:55 AM

Thanks for the clarification!!

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 9.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-04-2024 04:15 PM
    Card fees are allowed to be passed on to the customer. There are several restaurants who ASK at the drive up if you are paying cash or charge and then adjust the total balance depending on your answer. I know they do this because I visited them ONCE, and I will never go back.
    CC fee's just like insurance & electric depend on size and amount of use. I include these costs directly into my pricing model. When the insurance, taxes, electric go up - my prices go up.
    Now, if you want to get together about something to make a change. I think we should be looking at the software companies who are NOW forcing us to use them directly to process our sales. There are a few things that bother me about being FORCED to use them.
    1. They charge me more now than I was paying my previous processor.
    2. It takes them 3 - 4 days to deposit MY money into my account. Prior was same day or next day if on the weekend.
    3. The cost of the monthly software service has increased 66% in my case during the time frame 11/22 until 12/23.

TenANT & LandLORD guess which one we are now. Thank you sir my I have ANOTHER!

Texas law requires all real estate licensees to give
    the following information about brokerage services to prospective buyers, tenants, sellers and landlords.

Information About Brokerage Services
    Thomas Kent

Parker Properties|Realtor
    Cell: 972-672-2120

www.unitedstoragebowietx.com

• 10.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-05-2024 09:25 AM

Why not just raise rental rates by the average cost of your credit card processing? Seems like that would help your overall bottom line and avoid the nickel/dime treatment of your credit card customers. 

If I notified my card tenants (majority) and told them I was directly passing the charge fee on to them, they'd tell me to pack sand and then they'd jump ship to my competitors who don't nickel and dime.

Just my .02

Daniel Brown
    Owner
    River Hills Storage
    Austin TX
    (512) 347-8336

• 11.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-05-2024 10:38 AM

Raising rates to the average of credit card fees is not fair to the tenant that pays cash or other non-credit card/debit card methods.

To raise rates just to cover the charge which is a convenience to the tenant should be a benefit only for the tenant that enjoys that benefit and it is widely done in other industries.

To raise the rates would be counterproductive as Storedge would only get more revenue for themselves because they would then receive more credit card fees as rates are higher and the goal is to not raise rates but charge the convenience fee to the party receiving the benefit.

Have you ever gone online and renewed your license and there is an extra fee for using a credit card????

So normal now adays.

So my you can be afraid of your customers telling you to go pound sand but how do you really know that will happen unless you try.

I bet many will say that they would just go to ACH rather than credit card and others would just keep it the way it is.

The "go pound sand" comment is your fear, but it is not reality.

So anyone going to contact Storedge or am I alone on this?

I simply want the feature, weather you use it or not is up to you..

David Fisher

Group of Companies

Care to schedule a call?

www.fishergloballlc.com

• 12.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-05-2024 11:36 AM

Just a difference in opinion. I know how my tenants react to change and obviously so do you, for yours. 

Best of luck with your quest with Storedge

Daniel Brown
    Owner
    River Hills Storage
    Austin TX
    (512) 347-8336

• 13.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-05-2024 12:19 PM
    If you don't like Credit Card fee's you are going to HATE the fee's charged for ACH, ACH failure attempts, etc. I no longer accept ACH because of the fee structure.

Texas law requires all real estate licensees to give
    the following information about brokerage services to prospective buyers, tenants, sellers and landlords.

Information About Brokerage Services
    Thomas Kent

Parker Properties|Realtor
    Cell: 972-672-2120

www.unitedstoragebowietx.com

• 14.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-15-2024 11:13 AM

We charge a convience fee for every card that is used. We have been doing it for a couple of years and our tenants dont complain and the ones that do simply pay with check or MO. Its a convience to use a CC just like David said if you go online even to buy movie tickets your charged a cnvience fee, if I want to order the tickets ahead of time so I dont have to wait or go up to the window I pay it , if I dont then I pay cash at the door its my choice and we give our tenants the same choice and it helps a ton to absorb those fees. 

Charles Hatch
    Reliant Storage Solutions, Ltd.
    Portland TX
    (361) 777-2059

• 15.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-15-2024 12:08 PM
    Charles, can you set up your software to  recognize the credit card payments and automatically charge the convenience fee or do you have to manually charge on each customer that uses a credit card?
    Sent from my iPhone

• 16.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-24-2024 03:54 PM

We have to manually charge, we have considered a few new software programs that have it built in but havent made a change. 

Charles Hatch
    Reliant Storage Solutions, Ltd.
    Portland TX
    (361) 777-2059

• 17.  RE: Storedge Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-15-2024 04:05 PM
    I think that is great, this is exactly what we are looking to accomplish.
    I do not believe that it is something that people (the consumers) will balk at as they have the choice of ACH, debit and other mechanisms to pay.

What software are you using?

I requested that EVERYONE in TSSA go to their software vendor and request that the ability/capability to reverse the service charge can be charged as a convenience fee back to the beneficiary of the convenience.

I know we can just make our units more expensive to cover the cost but really it is not fair to the other tenants who pay via non credit card means.
    Do you know that all of those rewards, points, travel miles, etc... get passed onto US as vendors.  We pay for those points!
    Why not reverse it.
    Try renewing your driver's license, auto registration, buy concert tickets, rent co-working, buy gasoline, and may other services with a credit card.  It is becoming more common place and as an industry, it really would benefit us.

I personally think that one does not need to be fearful of a tenant being told, "go pound sand" as it is really dependent as to how it is sold.  It is all in the conversation.
    I own the brand, Business E Suites - office space rental/co-working (www.businessEsuites.com) and Kefi Spaces - office and warehouse rentals (www.kefispaces.com) and we charge them the fee for use of credit card all the time and it is typical.
    I also own Western Aviation (www.westernaviation.com) and we charger aircraft and provide certified appraisals and always provide the option to pay by credit card with a 5% surcharge and some do and some do not.

David Fisher

Group of Companies

Care to schedule a call?

www.fishergloballlc.com