Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  RV lien

Posted 05-25-2022 03:11 PM
    I have four questions on an RV stored in our lot.

First: After non-payment, I seized and sent Notice of Claim as the Goldbook says to do. I sent off to the state for the registered owners and lienholders. That paperwork didn't make it back to me until after the 30th day from seizure. Since the Goldbook procedure says I have to send the Intent to Sell form no later than 30 days after the seizure, does that mean I start the process over again??

Second: The owner on record is deceased. Do I still need to send the Intent to Sell form to his address? My tenant is his daughter and that's who I have been sending the forms to. 

Third: The deceased owner's brother is asking if he can "buy" the RV from us by paying the back owed rent and fees plus whatever we deem fair. But I believe I legally have to put this up for public auction right? My tenant has not responded to any of my letters, texts, voicemails or emails. She and the (uncle) brother have not spoken in 30 years so there is no hope she will give consent to him just taking the RV.

Four: When, if, I get to sell this RV...will title be able to go to the buyer?? Being that the owner of record is deceased?

------------------------------
    JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 2.  RE: RV lien

Posted 05-31-2022 02:48 PM
    Yikes.  What a sad mess.  My thoughts...1) is the RV valuable? If it is, then invest the time to work for a good outcome for yourself.  2) if the daughter of the deceased is not returning your calls maybe send the uncle to her directly with the form that he can get her to sign that says that she gives you permission to transfer authority to the uncle... get what you can from the uncle or the daughter or work the proceedure to send to auction so you can clear it from your lot and you can move forward.

If its a nice rv you want to buy for your self via the auction...run that process and go get it.  Good luck.

John McAfee 214-923-0070

Ange Morgan
    Director of Operations
    The Storage Place - DFW, Frisco
    Midlothian TX
    (972) 723-7879

• 3.  RE: RV lien

Posted 06-17-2022 01:21 PM
    Edited by Rebecca Dierssen 06-17-2022 01:22 PM
    I have a similar situation. We purchased a property and right before the sale went through the existing owner said they had a 'little' problem. They couldn't get a hold of the owner of a camper at the storage facility and they believed she was dead. Needless to say any attempts to email, mail or call do not go through. We have no one to get a hold of and a lease that was never signed. Can we consider this camper abandoned? In our storage software it shows she was locked out in May 2020. I'm wondering if I can apply for an Application for Authority to Dispose of a Motor Vehicle to a Demolisher? Maybe you might know. Any info you have would be great.

Rebecca Dierssen
    Owner
    Applegate Storage
    Elk Grove CA (facility is in Round Rock, TX)
    (512) 710-2900

• 4.  RE: RV lien

Posted 06-17-2022 02:03 PM
    Hmm, I have never heard of an "Application for Authority to Dispose of a Motor Vehicle to a Demolisher"?? Anyone else?

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 5.  RE: RV lien

Posted 06-17-2022 03:14 PM
    We had a member bring this up at the recent Legal Seminar. TSSA legal counsel wrote a blog post on the topic. You can find it here.

Kristy Breaux
    Deputy Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089