Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Roof leaks

Posted 12-23-2023 08:17 PM
    We recently noticed water damage on the ceiling in the office area. Upon inspection, the metal roof is in good shape but the screws are showing rust and the rubber grommets degradation. I suspect this is where the roof is leaking. Does this call for replacement of all screws or what other options are there? I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Joni Concienne
    Bulldog Boat Storage
    Nederland TX
    (409) 223-7006
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Roof leaks

Posted 12-24-2023 09:12 AM
    I usually have someone walk my roofs every other year to replace screws that are rusted like that. That definitely helps!!

Jeanne Dube
    Solid Ground Storage
    505 W US HWY 290
    Elgin, Tx 78621

• 3.  RE: Roof leaks

Posted 12-24-2023 11:34 AM

A couple options.  Chateau makes a round peel-and-seal circle that will cover the screws.  They also sell a wood device that looks like a thread spool that can be used to press down tight the circle piece over the screw.  You can also by the spray on sealer seen advertised on TV.  Flex Seal is what it's called.  I have used this on bullet holes in my metal roof.  It does a job.

------------------------------
    Doug Hunt
    Owner
    Owners Management Company, Inc.
    Lancaster TX
    (214) 742-9499

• 4.  RE: Roof leaks

Posted 12-24-2023 07:43 PM

I would get on the roof and wire brush the area of all screws and then wash off or sweep off so you have a clean surface.  Then replace all screws and rubber grommets with new.

Then get up there with a large can of "Henrys" and roll it on.  Be sure to coat it well.

because you wire brushed it, there should be good adhesion.

David Fisher
    Managing Director
    Fisher Global Development, LLC D/B/A Imperial Storage Solutions
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 391-2510

• 5.  RE: Roof leaks

Posted 12-27-2023 09:41 AM

I have been in Texas for 12 years, before that I lived in the Detroit area, the rustbelt of the USA.  Rust is a cancer to metal.  In my experience, there's not a lot you can do to remove the rust that will keep it gone forever.  It sounds like you have the original metal roof and some screws that are rusting and rubber washers that have broken down.  A broken washer can cause some roof leaks, but they would be minor.  If the metal around the screws looks bubbled or blistered, that would be the start of rust.  In my experience the best way to deal with rust is to cut it out and put down new metal.  The new metal that is put down needs to be coated/painted on both sides.  Where the new metal overlaps the old metal make a seal around it with caulking to ensure it's water tight.  If you use unpainted metal, it will rust.  If the bottom is not painted but the top is, the bottom will rust.  I have been successful with rust repairs where I used galvalume metal sheets or other colored metal sheets.  What I have seen that rusts out is when metal sheets from the hardware store were used for patches.  

Keep in mind your proximity to the Gulf and the salty air.

Justin Vosburg
    Property & Equipment Supervisor
    Affordable Attic Self Storage
    Harlingen TX