Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  No signed contract and has damage from water to stored property. What now?

Posted 19 days ago

I have a tennant that somehow didn't sign my contract and now they are claiming water damage on a few items and I don't have insurance cause my building is paid off. Any suggestions on what to do or what the law is in Texas on this? Thank

------------------------------
    Sandea Cornett
    Manager
    Burleson TX

• 2.  RE: No signed contract and has damage from water to stored property. What now?

Posted 19 days ago
    There are a number of ways to resolve. We have all had those customers who are honest and those ours that are NOT so much. I did not know that you could get insurance for peoples contents. I thought that was unavailable. You are renting the space, they are responsible for securing and insuring the contents.
    So, was it already damaged when placed in the unit? Is there signs of a water leak on the concrete, next unit over, walls etc. If the claim is not too big, maybe just take care of it. Your judgement.
    I had a customer Climate control, who clear plastic wrapped everything totally sealed. Mattresses, cushioned chairs - guess what happened. They were not happy. When they looked up the avg water content in a used mattress, the humidity that was trapped inside the non breathable wrapping on the cushions and furniture. They did not get happy, but they no longer blamed me.

Texas law requires all real estate licensees to give
    the following information about brokerage services to prospective buyers, tenants, sellers and landlords.

Information About Brokerage Services
    Thomas Kent

Parker Properties|Realtor
    Cell: 972-672-2120

www.unitedstoragebowietx.com

• 3.  RE: No signed contract and has damage from water to stored property. What now?

Posted 18 days ago
    What does a paid off building have to do with  not having insurance?  The two are not related.
    Hope you are using a TSSA lease.

David Fisher
    281-794-2361 (direct)

• 4.  RE: No signed contract and has damage from water to stored property. What now?

Posted 19 days ago

You are only responsible for tenant contents if you are somehow negligent in their loss. Each tenant must obtain their own insurance coverage for whatever is stored at your facility. You as the owner of the facility cannot insure someone else's property. As for being self-insured. You should keep you general liability in case you have someone file a lawsuit against the facility. Property....self-insure and hope that nothing damages your property. 

Scott Ashley
    Assurance One of Texas, LLC
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 494-6400