Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

• 1.  Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-16-2022 09:40 AM
    SO sad!
    We have been hit by catalytic converter thieves... It was just a matter of time.
    Is there a good protocol? Things we should or should not do in the eyes of Insurance or Law? 
    Just wanting to make sure we are handling this in the best way possible. 
    It is sickening to watch 4 people on surveillance video sweep through our facility in little more than 1 hour
    and steal these so easily!! 
    Any suggestions going forward to help prevent this? We are told they will most likely be back! 
    Do disheartening! 

Keri DuBose
    Hunter Valley Storage 
    New Braunfels, Tx

------------------------------
    Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 2.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-16-2022 09:58 AM
    Hi Keri,
    I'm so sorry you guys are having to deal with this. We were hit in September and it is not fun! We had the police do a police report but of course, it wasn't our property stolen so they could only write up the fence cuts as criminal mischief. I did make sure my tenants called the police out to do a report for them individually because that's what insurance companies need to approve claims and get their replacements done. One of our tenants found a local place that will not only replace the catalytic converter but also add an extra layer of protection in the form of some sort of cage around it. We passed that contact on to our other tenants. We also added a line to our information sheet about those with catalytic converters to consider adding extra protection since this seems to be a popular crime these days.
    The cameras were useless since the criminals had hoodies and masks on. The police were not very optimistic about finding them. Super disheartening!  
    Would love to hear from others that have been hit and what they did or have changed since the theft. 

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 3.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-16-2022 12:03 PM
    Thank you JoLea! 
    We have had all effected make local law enforcement reports for their own claims.  
    We have had same reaction from our deputies...very hard to find these guys! These guys were all covered up also.
    And then, if they are caught, there is no way to 
    get them to pay or the property back...and the thief is out the next day! 
    We are disgusted to say the least! 
    I am looking into finding places that will replace the converters, if customers ask, and I will definitely
    pass on the preventative measures you mentioned! It is very smart to suggest preventative measures! 

Thanks again! and so sorry you had to deal with this also!

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 4.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-16-2022 10:45 AM

A sheriff deputy told me you can spray the bottom of the catalytic converter with high temp white paint and then etch your driver's license number on the converter. The thief will see the white paint in the dark and maybe even the etching and will realize precautions have been taken. This is just a deterrent, but since a thief will have to sand the etching off and a buyer will notice this, the thief will move on to another vehicle.

• 5.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-16-2022 12:06 PM
    Thank you for this information Paul! 
    We will definitely pass it on to your customers! 
    It sure is better than having no deterrent to their stealing!

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 6.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-19-2022 09:40 AM
    Our facility is in the Richmond/Rosenberg area like JoLea's. We have been hit as well as numerous others in our area. We have basically done the same things that she mentioned. It's been recommended to our customers to build the cage like structure around the converter to thwart the thieves. Also, the older RV's in our facility weren't targeted as I was told the thieves won't get nearly as much money for older converters. I feel like the thieves and buyers are all in cahoots. I'm praying that these guys don't come back for another round once they feel like everything has been repaired. I've had a couple of people mention the invisible perimeter intruder beams to me. Has anyone heard of/used these? I'm just wondering how well work, if they do any good, etc.

Shelly Schmidt
    Sportsman's Boat & RV Storage
    Needville TX
    (281) 630-9911

• 7.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-21-2022 11:40 AM
    Unfortunately every facility, including the large retail RV center on IH 35,  in our area has been hit more than once. 
    Something more, in the law arena, does need to be done! We are, and were,  doing all precautionary that local law enforcement has suggested.
    We are making a written letter to all current customers, and for future customers, that details the precautions individuals can take to secure their catalytic converters...and all items in view. 
    We had not heard of the intruder beam. I would be interested in knowing how far the beam reaches. 

Thank you for your note!

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 8.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-19-2022 12:59 PM
    So sorry for you and your customers.  We were building a storage property and my asphalt company dump truck was left over night at the job site…converter was stolen.  $15k to replace and 3 months with the truck out of service waiting on parts.  Ugh.  My preference dealing with this involves the NRA but wiser minds prevail.  Bad guys will always be there…security and cameras and fencing etc will be your best deterrent.  Sorry this happened.  John McAfee 214-923-0070

John McAfee
    The Storage Place - DFW, Frisco
    Frisco TX
    (214) 923-0070

• 9.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 11-21-2022 11:48 AM
    John, I have thought of making a huge sign to place facing the outside of the fence to say something like...
    "No trespassing...We see you!...We don't dial 911!" 
    We have also considered dogs...and security patrol.... We might do a little of each! 
    Basically, if they want to get in they will get in. We do have high fence (they cut it), cameras (they wore hoodies and buffs over their faces and gloves) 
    and we are highly lighted (Dark Sky people hate us!) 

We are disgusted. But will keep on top of this! 
    Thank you for responding and your idea! =)

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 10.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 12-02-2022 09:41 AM

This Texas House Bill 4110 which took effect on 09/01/2021, should have stop the theft of catalytic converters. I'm not an expert on State Laws, so what am I missing on this bill? Is it just not being followed up on?
    https://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB4110/2021

Paul Lash
    Sandy Beach Boat *RV* Self Storage
    Azle TX
    (817) 889-6762

• 11.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 12-02-2022 10:05 AM

• 12.  RE: Have you been effected by catalytic converter theft?

Posted 12-03-2022 12:40 PM
    We thought the same thing-that this new Texas law should help a great deal since it restricts how those recycling the metal must handle things and puts more of a burden on them to verify the source of the converter. Alas, it may be a case of keeping the honest people honest and not impacting the criminals. Apparently they still seem to have  found plenty of sources for buying the stolen converters, presumably on a black market of some kind. Otherwise, perhaps the law isn't really being enforced yet.

In fact, Texas ranks #2 only behind California for catalytic converter theft, according to several sources.

The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) advocates for Congress to pass the PART Act, which makes marking converters easier and ostensibly would help law enforcement with making the market more transparent.

Their website says that insurance claims for catalytic converter theft have soared in 2022, so we assume it is a matter of time before the insurance providers push for change. (That, or they will just pass along the increasing cost to policy holders.)

I assume auto makers will start adjusting how converters can be accessed, but probably not till mandated by law.

It's a terrible problem and so widespread.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089