Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  ESS Text Notification

Posted 01-07-2024 07:37 AM

Just wanted to verify what ESS told me earlier in the year.  There is NO WAY for them to notify a facility if we receive a text from a customer through their system.  I own/operate a storage facility in Tomball and answer all calls and emails as they come in.  I find it embarrassing when I get up in the morning only to find out that I've missed multiple text from customers who are now upset that I didn't respond to them.  There's no way to send an auto email to the customers stating that the text message is not monitored either.  Any thoughts?  

------------------------------
    Mark Hansen
    Rosehill Mini Storage
    (281) 351-8590

• 2.  RE: ESS Text Notification

Posted 01-08-2024 08:20 AM
    Texting has become a standard in communication. Although I'm not great at doing my text either we do have it set up for all communication through our Storage software, including text are documented and our staff must review those regularly. I have just forced myself to be in the habit of checking my text a lot more frequentlythan I used to. 

David Fisher
    281-794-2361 (direct)

• 3.  RE: ESS Text Notification

Posted 02-13-2024 11:33 AM

I"m currently using ESS but looking at more units thinking about changing software ... any suggestions from this group ? 

Lisa Christian
    Hwy 7 West Storage
    Center TX
    (936) 488-0567

• 4.  RE: ESS Text Notification

Posted 01-09-2024 09:15 AM

Hi Mark, I have struggled with that feature as well. I have been happy with ESS and I do like the "text" feature, however, I don't like the idea of constantly having to login to our account on a phone or computer to see if a customer has messaged us. We are a "remotely operated" facility with no staff on-site. So, timely communication is imperative. I have contacted ESS again and asked for some sort of notification via text or email when a customer sends us a text. I'll keep you posted.

Kelly Jones
    Texas Container Self Storage
    Quinlan TX
    (214) 604-7914

• 5.  RE: ESS Text Notification

Posted 01-09-2024 09:19 AM
    Edited by Matt Engfer 01-09-2024 09:19 AM

For what its worth, you may have a tough time getting that feature added to the platform as Storable has publicly stated they are no longer going to make significant changes/additions to the ESS platform. Seems like their eggs are in the StorEdge basket but just my two cents.

Michael

• 6.  RE: ESS Text Notification

Posted 02-07-2024 09:38 AM
    Edited by Lara Montgomery 02-07-2024 09:39 AM

I am having the same issue. I plan to edit all the text templates to add a message to "Please do not respond to this text message as it is an automated message, but please contact us at (xxx)xxx-xxxx."

Lara Montgomery
    (903) 225-5654

• 7.  RE: ESS Text Notification

Posted 02-07-2024 09:30 PM
    Edited by Ryan Stalling 02-07-2024 09:31 PM

Hi Mark! We use ESS and I have had the same complaint. Overall, I really like their software but this text feature and the lack of notifications without constantly monitoring the text section within the software is frustrating and leads to poor customer service if delayed responses occur which they do despite my best efforts. I try to look at it morning, noon and before I sign off for the day. I also check it again on my phone as I am getting ready to wrap up for the night. 

PS - I don't know if you remember me but we spoke about 10 years ago on a storage chat forum and over the phone briefly. You were so nice in answering my questions in hopes of one day opening at storage facility ourselves. Well, we finally made it happen in 2022. I'm pretty verse in ESS now so if you ever have a question or want to bounce what you are being told with another operator, I invite you to reach out to me anytime (phone or text). ;-)

- Heather Stalling

Ryan Stalling
    Steel Roots Storage LLC
    Waxahachie TX
    (972) 921-7309