Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

Posted 10-24-2022 09:00 AM
    Hello,

Is there any progress on ending this in TX? Every time I have to pay for this I wonder how close we are getting to eliminating this fee?

I have a storage facility in MS and they did away with this sometime ago (and they don't even have a storage association).

------------------------------
    Scott Smith
    EZ Storage
    Waco TX

• 2.  RE: Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

Posted 10-26-2022 09:30 PM
    Edited by Michael Meylor 10-26-2022 09:31 PM
    Elimination of mandatory newspaper ads is at the top of the TSSA legislative agenda. The newspaper lobby is strong in TX and we are asking members to contact their state representatives. We will have more communication in the weeks and months to come. In the meantime you can find your representative at the link below and ask them to support removal of the mandatory newspaper ad.

Texas House of Representatives : Find My Representative

Michael Meylor
    Neutron Corporation / Alamo Storage
    San Antonio TX
    (210) 593-8858

• 3.  RE: Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 10-27-2022 08:38 AM
    This post was removed

• 4.  RE: Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

Posted 10-27-2022 09:08 AM
    I am glad this at the top of the agenda. I hope it stays there until passage.

I wonder if there is an update on where we are currently in this process and if it would be beneficial for TSSA to provide a "scripted letter"  for members that we could all send out so that the same message is sent from everyone?

Also, if they sent this out as a request to all members with the letter this might give us a stronger voice and push.

Scott Smith
    EZ Storage
    Waco TX

• 5.  RE: Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

Posted 10-27-2022 01:56 PM
    The TSSA is working on messaging and a scripted letter as you suggested. It is important we stay on message and avoid pitfalls that could come back against us. After the midterm elections, we will know who our representatives are for the next legislative session.

Michael Meylor
    Neutron Corporation / Alamo Storage / Alamo Storage
    San Antonio TX
    210-593-8858

• 6.  RE: Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

Posted 10-31-2022 06:12 PM
    Edited by Ginny Sutton 11-01-2022 09:54 AM

Hello Scott, and thank you for asking this question.

With the election taking place next week and the legislative session starting on January 10, 2023, TSSA is planning for our work with legislators to eliminate mandatory newspaper advertising.

Stayed tuned, as we will communicate with members in the months ahead about that effort. 

We are creating the talking points members should use when communicating with their representatives and will ask for help on getting that message out there at the appropriate time.

We have the best members in the world, so we know they will lend their support when the time is right. For now, engaging with your state representatives in both the House and Senate once the election takes place (or if you are campaigning for someone) is a great step in the right direction.

Also, we would very much like to know about any planned campaign contributions. Anyone considering that can contact me directly at advocacy@txssa.org.

And we hope that all our members vote (either early or on election day on November 8).

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 7.  RE: Ending the Mandatory Print Notice for Auctions?

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 11-01-2022 09:37 PM
    This post was removed