Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  DRUG DEALERS LOVE STORAGE UNITS

Posted 09-20-2023 09:34 AM

Apparently storage facilities are the drug dealers new go to place for storing their drugs. They get someone else to rent the unit for them.  That way the tenant on contract without knowing what is stored, is responsible for contents.  They dont lose their vehicle/home etc. I evicted one in April and he left in a big hurry, but left us evidence of marijuana and a drug used for ADHD which they say sells well.  Recently we had the same thing happen and the owner told me to call the K-9 unit.  When they arrived the K-9 detected faint odor of marijuana in the unit and said they had probably just smoked in there, but to keep and eye on them.  They are getting calls from storages all over our county for the same reason.  I gave them permission to come and train here if they needed .  Advice was to let new tenants know that K-9 is allowed on property 24/7 and they will go somewhere else.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

------------------------------
    Kathy Owens
    Woodlands 242 Self Storage
    Conroe TX
    (936) 321-2566

• 2.  RE: DRUG DEALERS LOVE STORAGE UNITS

Posted 09-21-2023 08:07 AM

The K-9 unit training ground is awesome. Great idea. The cops may also give you a plaque to post that says k-9's actively training or something like that. Nice work. 

John McAfee
    The Storage Place - DFW, Frisco
    Frisco TX
    (214) 923-0070

• 3.  RE: DRUG DEALERS LOVE STORAGE UNITS

Posted 10-05-2023 01:01 PM

Hello Kathy,

I have not had any drug dealer issues as of yet. However, months ago, I informed our local police department that they could train their K9 dogs here if they wanted to.

I liked Mr. McAfee's comment about signage! I just called and left a message for our police dept's K9 division head to see what he says about the signage. Also, I am considering adding that to my rental agreement IN BOLD LETTERS. 

Best wishes,

Caroline Hart

X-15 Storage

Jasper, Texas 

Caroline Hart
    Vice President
    X-15 Enterprises, LLC
    Jasper TX
    (409) 382-0266

• 4.  RE: DRUG DEALERS LOVE STORAGE UNITS

Posted 10-06-2023 09:25 AM

Yes. we did the same....but you shouldn't make it sound like you want them to look for things at your property. That isn't the goal...  One of our owners made such comments and they have not been back! It should be strictly for their benefit of having an area to train their K-9 partners.

Your benefit is that the word gets out through customers that there is a training for that happening on your property and people who have  illegal efforts won't use your place! 

Keri DuBose 

Hunter Valley Storage