Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-16-2023 10:56 AM

I have several delinquent tenants, and I intend move forward with foreclosure on each. After posting the required newspaper notices and sending notice sent to the tenant, I intend to cut off their lock and sell their contents. Are there any owners who have come up with a better way to remove the tenant's lock? Is it possible to get a master key, or a spare key to save the cost and effort of cutting off a lock?

------------------------------
    Stephen Haver
    Owner
    Cash for Properties, LLC
    Sugar Land TX
    (713) 503-0119

• 2.  RE: Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-17-2023 08:12 AM

Unfortunately cutting their lock is the only solution. If it is a small lock you can cut w lock cutter - cylinder locks require a grinder.

if you have a gate at your facility you can lock them out that way but unfortunately you will still have to cut lock.

Scott Smith
    EZ Storage
    Waco TX

• 3.  RE: Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-17-2023 09:28 AM

Does anyone know is there a Texas statutory requirement, that prevents facility owners from having a master key? Or is this more of a liability concern, to protect owners from having access to a tenant's storage unit?

Stephen Haver
    Owner
    Cash for Properties, LLC
    Sugar Land TX
    (713) 503-0119

• 4.  RE: Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-17-2023 11:19 AM

I believe having access to the tenant's contents changes your relationship and leaves you open to liability. The Goldbook will have more about this. Carol at TSSA  can probably speak on this subject really well as she knows that Goldbook better than most people :)

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 5.  RE: Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-17-2023 08:26 AM
    I've tried a drill jig for disk locks, but it didn't seem to perform any better than a grinder. You may have better results depending on the drill bit. My preferred method is still the grinder (with safety glasses, leather gloves and vice grips) because it works on all types of locks, not just disk. I'm curious if anyone has been successful with bolt cutters. 

Michael Meylor

• 6.  RE: Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-17-2023 09:36 AM

There is a lock drill guide for round locks.  It clamps in place and properly aligns with the correct drill location.  It can be purchased from ALLfrom1supply.com

Thomas Kent
    United Storage of Bowie
    Bowie TX
    (972) 672-2120

• 7.  RE: Delinquent Tenants - Alternative to Cutting off Locks

Posted 05-17-2023 11:21 AM

I'm not sure about the legal ramifications of having an extra key. We consider it a huge liability because the tenants can always say we accessed it and took something. I would recommend cutting the lock before the newspaper ad so you can list the contents (electronics, appliances, boxes, clothes, etc.) but make sure your lease has a lock cutting fee to compensate for the tools and time. 

I have heard of others that issue the locks to their tenants and it's a combination lock. They have the code and don't ever cut locks. I would think that would have to be an addendum to the lease maybe though. 

This would be a good question for the legal seminar if you are attending or know someone who is. 

Terri Wood
    Executive Assistant
    Ideal Self Storage
    Waco TX
    (254) 301-4071