Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Collections Agency recomendations

Posted 03-01-2024 03:59 PM

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a collections agency for a tenant that managed to get into our facility and move out without paying rent on two units.  Thanks for your help!!

Jamie

------------------------------
    Steve Van Buren
    Partner
    Fen-Tex, LLC
    Fentress TX
    (512) 557-3656

• 2.  RE: Collections Agency recomendations

Posted 03-03-2024 11:03 AM

We use Alexander-Rose.

I would say our success rate is almost nonexistent existent but what can we do?  Anyone else out there having success???

David Fisher
    Managing Director
    Fisher Global Development, LLC D/B/A Imperial Storage Solutions
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 391-2510

• 3.  RE: Collections Agency recomendations

Posted 03-05-2024 01:14 PM

We don't use a 3rd party collection agency... we've opted only for online auctions, and we've had great success with that platform. 

Justin Small
    Executive Vice President
    Diamond Self Storage Management, LLC
    (713) 817-2388

• 4.  RE: Collections Agency recomendations

Posted 03-05-2024 01:29 PM

It takes minutes to complete the demand letter and send to collections.

Even though few actually pay, even one is more than none.

I consider my storage space our product.  If someone has a balance owing after the auction, then I feel they have stolen our product and like anything, a credit card balance that is unpaid, an electric bill that is unpaid, a medical bill unpaid, it is all about a product or service that is left unpaid that is typically sent to collections and so why is self-storage any different?

Do you not think if you skipped out on the rent of an office or warehouse that you would not be sent to collections?  With plenty of fees for processing the auction, the processing the package to go to collections, cutting locks, cleaning out a unit if abandoned should be added on top.

The bottom line is I do not take the matter personally, it is just business and I feel that when people do not meet their obligations in this world, they go to collections, and I am following suit.

If some facilities choose not to do this, that is fine, but our facilities do this and will continue to do this.  It is also my common request that the delinquency is reported to each of the credit reporting agencies.  Why?  Because when it does those are commonly the people who circle back and settle the debt.

David Fisher

Fisher Global Development

Group of Companies

Care to schedule a call?

(281) 391-2510 o.| (281) 794-2361 c.

david@fishergloballlc.com

www.fishergloballlc.com

15500 Voss Road, Suite 204, Sugar Land, Texas 77498

United States Air Force Veteran                                                     Veteran Owned Company                    

• 5.  RE: Collections Agency recomendations

Posted 03-03-2024 10:40 PM

JP is probably your best way to collect. 

If you use the TMSA lease you should have no problem getting the judgment. Many people say "I have a judgement but what good is that?"  Here is the key,   When you get the judgement then file for a writ of execution.  With the writ the constable will go to his home/office to serve it.  Once served he will be given a short time (usually 3 to 7 days)  to pay the sum of the judgement, or the constable will begin seizing property to sell to satisfy the lien. 

Douglas Hunt

Owners Management Co.

Access Self Storage

OMC Gate Co.

3404 N. I-35E

Lancaster, TX 75134

Off -214-742-9499

Cell- 214-236-7474