Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Collections

Posted 02-15-2024 09:42 AM
    Does anyone use a collection agency that reports to a credit bureau? If so can you recommend one. We had a local agency but they closed. We hold auctions as required by the property code but we are rarely having buyers show up and even when they do we don’t recover what is owed. I would like to turn over their debt so it can possibly be recovered or at least go against their credit.

• 2.  RE: Collections

Posted 02-15-2024 12:56 PM

You might look into online auctions. They have been a game changer for us. Go through the lien process as required by law, then post online. Super simple process. We don't necessarily recover all the rent loss but the buyer cleans out the unit for us and we can wash our hands of the non-paying tenant. Just an idea.

------------------------------
    JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 3.  RE: Collections

Posted 02-15-2024 02:48 PM
    Thank you. I have been wondering if the online auction may get us some bidders. I'd be glad just not to have to clean them out and go to the dump. Do you use Storage Treasures?
    Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Collections

Posted 02-15-2024 04:02 PM

I agree with the previous comments....we started using storageauctions.com about a year ago for auctions and found the process so much easier!   

Maralee Foster
    JDLV Properties, Ltd.
    Wimberley TX
    (210) 349-0404

• 5.  RE: Collections

Posted 02-15-2024 04:05 PM
    I have used online storage auction and have been please     You really have to determine on front end if worth much.  But I have been pleasantly surprise what I got ! 

Hwy 7 West Storage 
    936-488-0567
    788 Hwy 7 West   
    Center Tx  75935

Mailing Address: 
    204 Houston St 
    Center Tx  75935

• 6.  RE: Collections

Posted 02-16-2024 10:32 AM

We use Storageauctions.com .  We have been doing online auctions for 3 years.  As Jolea says.  it is easy to list, and a wide audience has the opportunity to view the units for sale.  We collect a $100 cash deposit from the buyer when they come to get the unit bought.  That almost makes sure they will take everything out, but we have had a few that didn't clean everything out and lost the $100.   

Doug Hunt
    Owner
    Owners Management Company, Inc.
    Lancaster TX
    (214) 742-9499