Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Auction news paper advertising

Posted 02-14-2023 10:44 AM

I know a while back we were talking about Texas law changing to do away with the printed newspaper advertisement for an auction.  Our local paper only prints the paper 2 times a week.  It seems crazy in this day and digital time that we have to do this.  I have not heard anything and I figure that no news means....no good news.  Do we still have to make 2 newspaper ads?  Is there any way around this?  If it is still in waiting, how much longer? 

I could hold out! I only have 1 unit and I hate the extra expense.  I doubt I will make any money on an auction and the expense of the newspaper makes me want to cry. 

thanks for you help!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Douglas
    Permian Trinity Storage
    Odessa TX
    (432) 894-3301

• 2.  RE: Auction news paper advertising

Posted 02-14-2023 02:15 PM

Look in the Goldbook under "Abandonment".

• 3.  RE: Auction news paper advertising

Posted 02-20-2023 10:42 AM
    Edited by Ginny Sutton 02-20-2023 10:45 AM

Jennifer,

It is so frustrating being forced to spend that kind of money when we know the required ads accomplish nothing in most cases. 

TSSA's advocacy team is actively working on getting bill sponsors lined up. The bill that has been drafted actually does not do away with print newspapers as an option; it simply provides alternatives to print (for example, using the website of an online auction provider or using another commercially reasonable method to get bidders to the scheduled sale).

Note: If you have a business or personal relationship with a legislator, please email me at advocacy@txssa.org; please do not approach the individual about a bill sponsorship at this time.

Our hope is that members will respond once the bill does get filed and set for a hearing so that their legislators (state reps and state senators) know that it is unfair for one private industry to be forced to provide an income stream for another when those published ads do not accomplish what they should--attract bidders to a sale so that the debt a tenant owes can be lessened. 

If the bill is filed, we will provide our members with talking points and letter templates for communicating with the people who represent you at the Capitol. That representation will be based on your home address so now would be a good time for everyone to determine who represents them (if they do not already know).

You can put in your home address or county at https://wrm.capitol.texas.gov/home to see a list and contact information for the senator and representative for the district in which you live, or you can use the address of the facility.  Luckily, that state does not store the search data.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 4.  RE: Auction news paper advertising

Posted 03-02-2023 02:05 PM

Jennifer,

In case you and others missed the announcement to members, we have a bill which provides alternatives to print newspapers! HB 2574 was filed by Representative Stan Lambert (R) of Abilene and Representative Will Metcalf (R) of Conroe is signing on as co-author. We are still working with potential sponsors to have a companion bill introduced in the Senate.

The newspapers lobbied hard the last time we worked on a bill like this, but this time we believe the bill language is more palatable to all involved. If passed, self-storage owners could still use the printed newspaper in the county to publish their lien sale ad, but alternatives are included. 

The text of the bill can be found at: https://capitol.texas.gov/Search/DocViewer.aspx?ID=88RHB025741B&QueryText=%22HB+2574%22&DocType=B

If and when the bill is assigned the House or Senate committees, we will be asking members to reach out to their state representatives and state senators to suppor this common sense bill.

We will all need to work together if we expect the bill to pass. More to come as things unfold. The bill filing deadline is approaching at the end of next week so hopefully things will ramp up after that.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089