Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

• 1.  Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 04-26-2023 08:13 AM
    I know the voting was earlier this week and wanted to know if anyone has heard about the results?

Sincerely,

Scott Smith | Managing Partner
    Visionary Asset Management, LLC
    Self Storage Investments, Owner/Operator 

• 2.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 04-26-2023 12:45 PM

It passed!!!
    I watched the house proceedings for fun yesterday and actually missed when our bill was passed, but my wonderful representative emailed to let me know it did pass.   He said, "the bill has advanced to the next stage of the legislative process".  So more to come I guess. 
    ** On a different note, I encourage all people to watch a little of the house proceedings just as a citizen of Texas.  They talk so fast, I can't even believe anyone knows what is going on.  While I watched, they passed a ton of bills and then I also watched an hour-long fight.  Another time,  one rep actually said about another rep, "she told me that I should kill myself because I am offering up an amendment to her bill and I just think that is rude."  The microphone went off for a long time and he didn't get to read his amendment.  I could not believe that actually happened! I want to understand all the things now.   I guess I will watch again when we get to the next level. 

------------------------------
    Jennifer Douglas
    Permian Trinity Storage
    Odessa TX
    (432) 894-3301

• 3.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 04-26-2023 01:28 PM

Jennifer, 

I lobbied for about 4 years in the 90's. You should check out the Texas legislative session some time...drive to Austin. You cannot get the true feel by watching on television as they do tend to cut out the volume during the most important conversations/hearings. Unfortunately, you'll find out that our elected officials will state what you want to hear, but behind closed doors they tend to openly do what benefits them first. If you attempt to speak with an elected official about your concerns, it won't take long to see if they are really concerned about your issues. Talk to both sides of the table (Dems/Repub)....they'll give you their opinion and why they think they know more than you about your industry. I

Scott Ashley
    Assurance One of Texas, LLC
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 494-6400

• 4.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 04-26-2023 02:36 PM
    Edited by Ginny Sutton 04-26-2023 02:37 PM

The bill passed the House today with a vote of 99 ayes and 46 nays. Next step is on to the Senate. That's when member calls and support will make or break our efforts to get this into law.

What Jennifer is writing about is what happened yesterday on second reading of the bill (third reading and final vote required, which happened today). I was also shocked to hear the representative who said another rep had told him to go kill himself. Mostly things were civil yesterday and no discussion about our bill.

But the vote today tells you it was not unanimous and there could be a fight in the Senate, especially in the rural districts.

Thank you for caring about this effort. And we will need all hands on deck when things start to progress in the other house (the Senate side). The final step in the process if a bill gets through both houses is the Governor's veto period. It is a LONG HAUL!

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 5.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-10-2023 07:24 AM

Did the bill die in the Senate? 

Daniel Brown
    Owner
    River Hills Storage
    Austin TX
    (512) 347-8336

• 6.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-11-2023 08:07 AM

Yes, unfortunately no matter how hard we tried to advocate for a public hearing, the Senate Business and Commerce Committee never set HB 2574 for hearing. It died in the Senate, never getting out of committee.

We have already begun conversations about what it will take to get this type of bill through both chambers successfully in the next session.

We were successful in keeping HB 143, the rent control bill, from proceeding in the House, however.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 7.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-11-2023 08:09 AM

Ginny can weigh in with the details, but my understanding is that the bill did pass the Senate and will go into effect in September. 

Monty Rainey
    Chief Executive Officer
    RPM Storage Management/SQubed
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 832-9496

• 8.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-11-2023 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, the bill passed in the House, but not the Senate.

Bills have to pass in both chambers (and not be vetoed by the Governor) to become law.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 9.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-11-2023 09:36 AM

What a disappointment for our entire community.

Perhaps I missed the rallying call for us all to reach out to our Senators before the vote.

It is hard to believe the newspaper industry still has such a big influence. More unsettling is that 

our current politicians don't understand that this model no longer works and we want change!

Scott Smith
    EZ Storage
    Waco TX

• 10.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-11-2023 09:54 AM

You didn't miss the rallying cry for members to contact their senators as we didn't quite reach that point in the process. We did have members in the districts of the committee members reach out to implore them to set the bill for hearing, but to no avail.

More than 8,000 bills were filed in combined House and Senate and about 1,200 (about 15%) were passed in both chambers and sent to the Governor. 

There were a lot of distractions for legislators during this legislative session. And many members do not act when called upon to contact the people who represent them, while others do. Volume of contact is critically important.

But in-person district visits and calls with representatives and senators during the interim (between sessions) would go a long way towards helping them to understand why this is important for the small business owners in their districts.

And yes, the newspapers do still have a great deal of influence with some legislators.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 11.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-13-2023 11:55 AM
    Edited by Greg Shannon 06-13-2023 11:56 AM

Hey Ginny - So what is the next step in getting this bill back on track? Do we start the rally cries earlier this year in hope that not getting passed this last session helps motivate people this time? Is it safe to assume there will be another shot at it this upcoming session?

Greg Shannon
    Owner/Partner

CapRock Storage LLC

(678) 978-8244

• 12.  RE: Any updates on the newspaper ad requirement vote?

Posted 06-19-2023 05:47 PM

Next steps will start when the special sessions wrap up, probably in September. Till then, the special sessions, tax relief and education vouchers are where the legislators' focus will be.

Over the last few days, Governor Abbott vetoed more than 40 bills, to reach a total of 76 vetoes on bills that passed both chambers, ostensibly to motivate the two chambers to reach an agreement on a property tax relief bill. That is the second highest number of bills vetoed in Texas history, according to the Texas Legislative Library. Yesterday was the deadline for vetoes, so there shouldn't be any more bill victims, but no agreement has been reached. It's clash of the titans right now.

Many of those bills could be back on the list for any called special session, bu we will not be able to bring the newspaper one back to the table since it hadn't passed in the Senate.

The TSSA Board of Directors has not decided if we will pursue this again in the 2025 session, but it is very likely. We will have to up our game and go in with a strategy of educating legislators, and that has to start far, far in advance.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089