Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Accessing tenant units

Posted 01-26-2023 05:51 AM
    Hello, 
    Newbie here.  Just opened a 120 unit fully enclosed boat and rv facility.  Our plan was to require tenants to provide their own locks.  I had a new tenant tell me that the facility he is moving from provided locks and they kept a record of the combination for those locks in the event they (the facility owners) needed to access the unit for emergencies such a leaking propane tank, acid leak, investigate noxious smells,etc.  I have always been told that as the owner you don't want to have access to tenant units.  What are your thoughts on this?  I like the idea of having access in the event we would need to investigate a potential hazard, but I am not sure the legal ramifications. 
    Thank You in advance for any feedback you may be able to provide.

------------------------------
    LouAnn Wagner
    Toy Box Ranch Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (210) 260-4883

• 2.  RE: Accessing tenant units

Posted 01-27-2023 10:51 AM
    Are you using the TSSA lease? It states that we can cut the locks in the event of an emergency like those. I would not be comfortable keeping codes/keys of tenants on file for liability reasons. They can at anytime say that something is missing and you had access. I'll be interested to hear others' opinions though.

Terri Wood
    Executive Assistant
    Ideal Self Storage
    Waco TX
    (254) 301-4071

• 3.  RE: Accessing tenant units

Posted 01-27-2023 12:03 PM
    Yes, I do use the TSSA lease.   I agree with you that it might inadvertently create a situation where you could be suspect should something turn up missing.  This tenant said that the particular facility he was at had a propane leak in the unit next to his and were able to access the unit and confirm the leak and contact the tenant.  I see where he would think it a benefit for the Tenant, but I'm not sure if it something we should consider.  I'm thinking not.

LouAnn Wagner
    Toy Box Ranch Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (210) 260-4883