Boat & RV Facilities

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Catalytic Converter Theft

Posted 02-09-2022 09:26 PM
    Our Presidential Boat/RV Storage project in Leander was attacked last week by a group of thieves wearing ski masks and hoodies. These guys were very organized, knew what they were doing and rapidly cut out about 30 converters, tossed them in back packs and were gone within the hour. Catalytic converters are easily sold on the black market and are highly desired for the materials they contain. We have learned that gas motorcoaches are susceptible. I am told diesel pushers are not. We have great security with cameras everywhere but that did not discourage the thieves. 

Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions for how to stop or deter the theft?

An insurance adjuster told us that in about three months all of our impacted tenants will have new converters and we should expect the thieves to come back again. That is the pattern at least that insurance company is observing. Our customers are currently made at the thieves, not us. But, if it happens again I suspect they will become upset with us if they don't see new protective systems. We have already scheduled new enclosed units which will help those who can afford them. It is those who park in open or covered spaces that are most vulnerable. 

Also, I found a YouTube video, inserted below, about a mechanic who has found a way to protect the converters on Preius'. Has anyone heard of something similar for RV's? 

This is serious. Let's work together to find solutions. 

George

Fastest Catalytic Converter Theft Protection Device
    YouTube remove preview
    Fastest Catalytic Converter Theft Protection Device
    New theft deterrent as seen on KSBY TV and Fox News for 2004-2017 Toyota Prius installs in less than 3 minutes with a 14mm and a 3/4" wrench and is availabl...
    View this on YouTube >

------------------------------
    George McCanse
    Providence.US
    Austin TX
    (512) 828-8156

• 2.  RE: Catalytic Converter Theft

Posted 02-10-2022 09:54 AM
    George,
    This catalytic converter theft is out of control. I know it's happening quite a bit in my residential area in a suburb.
    I am very curious if members have found solutions to deter this. Some of them may have reverted to having guard dogs at RV/boat facilities at night, but that comes with its own set of problems and liability, especially if tenants can come into the facility at that time.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 3.  RE: Catalytic Converter Theft

Posted 02-10-2022 11:02 AM

Ginny, thanks for passing on the article – I missed it. It has very useful information. Since yesterday I have learned that a facility in Lewisville (DFW area) has had thefts also.

I have also heard from owners who have said they have not been concerned because of lack of thefts in their area but appreciate knowing this is happening so that they can be prepared.

I expect that we are going to further enhance digital protection system as well as research if any RV repair facilities are offering protection for catalytic converters similar to what Carl Schach posted about U-Haul's remedy. We may also join forces with a nearby boat/RV storage facility for periodic joint nighttime security patrol visits to our facilities. My inner boy scout believes in being prepared.

I believe there is much to be gained by owners working together in their region.  

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 4.  RE: Catalytic Converter Theft

Posted 02-11-2022 10:05 AM

Yes, it is terrible along the IH 35 Corridor between San Antonio and Austin! 

I am in New Braunfels and have had NUMEROUS people stop by or call to check out our facility because they have had their catalytic converter stolen...some several times at the same facility. Several facilities have had more than one attack and the Camping World near us had every single catalytic converter on their property taken in under one hour...over 50 units taken, private RVs waiting for service and those on their lot! Incredible! 

We have fortunately not been hit.... Everyone knock on some wood! 

We have REALLY bright lights and someone living on the property. 

We have not heard of a god remedy...one facility wants to add razor wire on top of the fence, but it is one of those hard-to-get materials in the supply chain these days. 

It is a serious topic that definitely needs more discussions! THANK YOU for bringing it to the discussions! 

Keri DuBose

HUNTER VALLEY STORAGE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender by email at the address shown and delete the original message. Do not deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you.