Manager's Corner

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Mattresses and large trash left by dumpster

Posted 06-21-2021 09:25 AM
    When a tenant leaves behind a mattress or other large items either in an abandoned storage unit OR leaves them by the dumpster, is that something the office manager cuts up and or breaks down or do you call in someone else to dispose of it?  Mattresses can usually be cut up with a sharp razor blade and pieces tossed in the trash.  A box spring needs to have the wood frame broken up or cut up for the garbage truck to take it.  

When you don't know who left it behind OR the tenant won't take it with them, is this a job for the office manager, or do you bring in an outside vendor to take care of the large trash?

------------------------------
    Justin Vosburg
    Affordable Attic Self Storage/Attic Corporation
    Harlingen TX

• 2.  RE: Mattresses and large trash left by dumpster

Posted 06-22-2021 08:28 AM
    If we have the availability, we pull those large items into a unit close to the dumpster and auction it off as an abandoned unit.  I always say if someone will pay me $5 to haul all this junk off, it is worth it holding on thru an auction. 

But if it doesn't sell or I don't have the units available to hold it in until we can run an auction, then we have our maintenance guy come over and cut it up to get in the dumpster.

Sarah Cole
    Exec Admin Asst/Audit Coordinator/Marketing
    Oakcrest Management, Inc.
    Burleson TX
    (817) 426-5996

• 3.  RE: Mattresses and large trash left by dumpster

Posted 06-22-2021 09:55 AM
    Some a junk man can be found that will take mattress/boxsprings for recycling.

Doug Hunt
    Owner
    Owners Management Company, Inc.
    Lancaster TX
    (214) 742-9499