Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Towing Law Question

Posted 03-02-2022 12:44 PM
    We have decided we would like to try to get an RV towed since he signed the new lease.  We had him sign a letter stating it was okay for the facility to have the RV towed away.  Our problem is that we cannot find a tow company that will remove it.  Our police impound tow companies won't touch it.  Any idea what we could do from here?

------------------------------
    Holly Denbow
    Facility Manager
    Ideal Self Storage
    Corsicana TX
    (903) 874-4554

• 2.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-02-2022 01:10 PM
    You can search the online TDLR (Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation) database for a vehicle storage facility/licensed towing operator. You can search by company name, license number, city or ZIP. Select 'vehicle storage facility' from the dropdown menu when searching by city or ZIP. https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/tools_search/

Kristy Breaux
    Deputy Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 3.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-02-2022 01:18 PM
    Thank you so much! We've called a few on that list already and we were told no, but there are a few that were listed there that we didn't know about.

Holly Denbow
    Facility Manager
    Ideal Self Storage
    Corsicana TX
    (903) 874-4554

• 4.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-03-2022 09:20 AM

What reason are these towing companies giving you for not being willing to take the vehicle? Perhaps they don't know about the change to the Chapter 59 statute yet? We know that the towing associations have been educating their members about it, but it's still early days and may not be common knowledge. 

You used the new Notice of Claim containing the reference to towing, right?

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 5.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-04-2022 09:50 AM
    I have only had one item towed since I started here 2.5 years ago. But prior experiences indicate that the likelihood of making money off the item have a lot to do with the decision on the part of the towing company. One time (in another state) I was only able to get the towing company to take the ancient RV because I also had 2 jet skis on a trailer to give him. He told me that if it were just the ancient RV he would charge me a lot to remove it. I don’t know if there are restrictions in Texas about refusing items or not. Would love to see what others have to say. But since no one mentioned profit for the towing facility I thought I would. Gina Lounds, Hwy 35 Storage, Royse City.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-06-2022 12:04 PM
    You might want to call a big rig towing company.  The RV may be too big for the smaller companies.

David Fisher ASA Sr. Appraiser
    GM & Chief Cook
    Fisher Global Development, LLC D/B/A Imperial Storage Solutions
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 794-2361

• 7.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-06-2022 12:24 PM
    If we have existing tenants that are parking at our facility, and wonder if we need to have all of them sign a new TSSA vehicle storage agreement?  Post to new agreement online (like software companies do showing that the agreement has been updated), or do the new rules just not apply of they have not signed the new TSSA agreement?
    Some of the customers just auto pay and we NEVER see them.  Others are out of the country or have passed away and the vehicle parking is paid by a trust and has been like that for years.

David Fisher ASA Sr. Appraiser
    GM & Chief Cook
    Fisher Global Development, LLC D/B/A Imperial Storage Solutions
    Sugar Land TX
    (281) 794-2361

• 8.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-10-2022 01:36 PM
    We had absolutely every tenant with a parking space sign the new updated towing lease.  We are very glad we did since we have 2 that have quit paying and the RV's are extremely old.  We were not looking forward to trying to get information for an auction on them.

Holly Denbow
    Facility Manager
    Ideal Self Storage
    Corsicana TX
    (903) 874-4554

• 9.  RE: Towing Law Question

Posted 03-10-2022 01:33 PM
    They said they could not make money off of it and weren't interested, or they didn't have the set up to keep.

Holly Denbow
    Facility Manager
    Ideal Self Storage
    Corsicana TX
    (903) 874-4554