Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  automatic front gate with key pad - what should I know??

Posted 04-10-2021 01:32 PM
    We bought an old storage self-storage facility (50 10'X20' units) with no one on the property/ no office hours.  Currently, the front gate has a combo lock and tenets are given the code when they sign up.  They have to get out, undo the lock, unwrap the chain and push the gate open.  We would like to have the kind of gate that you can just punch in a code and it opens automatically.  We are working with "Easy storage solutions" website and they have the ability for a new tenets to make their own front code.  We figure that means we need internet access and electricity on the gate.  If you have something like this, how exactly does this all work and What else should I be thinking about?  
    thanks

------------------------------
    Jennifer Douglas
    Permian Trinity Storage
    Odessa TX
    (432) 894-3301

• 2.  RE: automatic front gate with key pad - what should I know??

Posted 04-22-2021 11:21 AM
    Hello Jennifer,

Yes, you need internet access, electricity to the gate. A gate system that would do (what you are looking for) would run anywhere from $18k to $30k. We installed such gates at a couple of the properties we took over and can give you more details. You are welcome to call me to discuss specific feedback. 

Welcome to storage

Raheem Amer
    SVP - Operations
    Devon Self Storage Holdings (US) LLC
    Frisco TX
    (630) 660-2637

• 3.  RE: automatic front gate with key pad - what should I know??

Posted 04-24-2021 10:22 AM
    Raheem is spot on. Another factor to consider when shopping access control systems is monthly tech support fees. There are some that don't have any, and there are some that come with a lot of technological bells and whistles that may be beneficial for your customer base. It sounds like you have a swing gate, so a motor to open the gate with keypads for entry and exit would be needed. Another option is a loop detector for the tenants vehicle to trigger the gate on exiting is a possibility. If that's the case and there is not concrete in existence, you would have to pour a slab.  Happy to help if you have any questions, feel like we have used just about every brand now.

Chris

Chris Martin
    Ideal Self Storage
    Waco TX

• 4.  RE: automatic front gate with key pad - what should I know??

Posted 04-24-2021 01:04 PM
    A system that automatically locks out overdue tenants can help with collection of late fees. There are several systems which integrate with your management software, you can also consider a farm/ranch access system. With respect to service calls and maintenance, we pay far less to our farm/ranch gate vendor than we do to our self storage gate vendor. There is some overlap in access control solutions, so you may find a farm/ranch gate company who installs systems that integrate with storage software.  A system without monthly subscription fees may be the best solution for a 50 unit property.

Michael Meylor
    Neutron Corporation
    San Antonio TX
    (210) 630-9539

• 5.  RE: automatic front gate with key pad - what should I know??

Posted 04-26-2021 09:36 AM
    Edited by Denise Bowley 04-26-2021 01:55 PM
    Hi Jennifer!

We have a couple of small facilities ( 50 to 100 units), the budgets do not allow the luxury to install self storage access systems.  Overhead Door installed a gate and keypad ( 10 codes), every tenant has the same code and we change the code every year.  This option does not require internet service but you will need electricity.  Overhead Door will ask you to have an electrician come out and run power through an underground conduit to the entrance area.  They will take care of everything else.

You will not be able to track, access, it does not integrate with software software but it does keep the gate shut and provides a better experience for the customer.

We use Cell Gate at the other small facility it works off of cellular  service.  You can have individual codes and remove codes for past due tenants. There is no software integration though.   Remote Gate Access Control Systems for Door Gate Security

We use PTI Storlogix at all of our other facilities,  we love it!  We even have the Easy Code App set up so the tenants can open the gate through their phones.

Hope this helps!

Denise Bowley
    Owner
    Self Storage Science, LLC
    Lufkin TX
    (936) 632-5533