Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Dumpster Issue - Need Suggestions!!!

Posted 01-03-2022 03:55 PM
    We have a 171 unit facility.    While a small dumpster is there for the convenience of the live-in facility manager, tenants are constantly overflowing it which results in an extreme extra charge for our service provider. Our manager has even caught tenants bringing in their household trash to dispose of there.  How do I address this trash issue while still allowing the tenants to have reasonable access?  

This has been an ongoing issue that needs a resolution.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

------------------------------
    Melonie Harrell
    Little Dude Mini Storage
    Conroe TX
    (936) 273-2727

• 2.  RE: Dumpster Issue - Need Suggestions!!!

Posted 01-03-2022 04:09 PM
    Hi Melonie,

We were having this problem several years ago and decided to ask the trash company for a dumpster that can be locked. We have trash cans around the property for the "reasonable" trash and our maintenance man empties them into the dumpster on a daily basis. But we let our tenants know upon move in that the dumpster is locked because it is for Facility trash only. Hope this helps!

JoLea Conn
    OnSite Manager
    ALL*STAR STORAGE
    Richmond TX
    (281) 341-7867

• 3.  RE: Dumpster Issue - Need Suggestions!!!

Posted 01-04-2022 10:05 AM
    Great suggestion! I am changing providers in March so I will certainly ask about this before making a decision on who to use.  

Thanks so much!

Gwendolyn Smith
    Little Dude Mini Storage
    Conroe TX
    (936) 273-2727

• 4.  RE: Dumpster Issue - Need Suggestions!!!

Posted 01-05-2022 10:07 AM
    Edited by Michael Meylor 01-05-2022 10:08 AM
    We implemented JoLea's suggestion of locking dumpsters at two locations to deal with the dumping problem. At another facility with mostly business tenants, we used dumpster access as an amenity and increased rents.

Michael Meylor
    Neutron Corporation
    San Antonio TX
    (210) 630-9539

• 5.  RE: Dumpster Issue - Need Suggestions!!!

Posted 03-24-2022 10:43 AM
    We build a locked enclosure around the dumpster or even have to dumpster in a unit that gets rolled out for pickup.  I have seen that most facilities are no longer offering dumpster services to all tenants.  I agree with Mikes idea of charging a dumpster fee to tenants that use.

J.D. Blacklock
    Blacklock Storage, LLC
    Fort Worth TX
    (254) 717-0229 (cell)