Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Credit Card Fees

• 1.  Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-13-2021 04:52 PM
    Do you charge your customers an additional fee to pay with a credit card to cover the processing fee the merchant charges?

------------------------------
    Kristy Breaux
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 01-14-2021 08:31 AM
    No, we consider this part of the cost of doing business.

Holly Barr
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 3.  RE: Credit Card Fees

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 01-15-2021 09:38 AM
    This post was removed

• 4.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 04-06-2021 10:04 AM
    Gov't agencies do... They call it a convenience fee.  I don't charge a fee, but I will on occasion offer a discount for cash.  That gets their attention.  Also be aware that cc users have up to 6 months to protest a charge to their credit card with no recourse on the vendors side to validate the chg.  So be aware when accepting cc for past due account who then move out>

David Guthrie
    Reliable Self Storage
    Whitehouse TX
    (903) 581-4645

• 5.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 02-05-2021 09:43 AM
    Could this cost be covered by a one time admin fee upon move in?

Carlynn Womack
    E-Lease Technician
    (512) 374-9089

• 6.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 02-05-2021 03:19 PM
    Most user credit card acceptance user agreements prohibit you from charging a surcharge to customers who want to use credit cards to pay.  The discount fees associated with accepting credit card payments are typically considered the "cost of doing business" by most business owners today and get built into their pricing or revenue models. You can, however offer a discount to those who want to pay in cash (if you accept cash, which we typically don't recommend) or by check rather than a credit card. But be sure the way you offer this discount complies with your provider's rules.

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 7.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 03-22-2021 02:03 PM
    To make sure you are not over paying for credit card processing, we have found it to be a good practice to bid out credit card processing every year or two.  Credit card use is expanding with more customers opting to pay this way, and some some credit card processors charge considerably more than others, and  market processing fluctuates, so getting bids can save considerable money. The bid process does not take too much of your time-the bidders usually just need a recent statement from your current processor. Many owners are paying more than they need to.

Mike Gately CPM
    Trusted Self Storage Professionals
    San Antonio TX
    (210) 508-6450

• 8.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 03-23-2021 08:56 AM
    Mike, isn't Sitelink forcing you to use theirs?

• 9.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 03-24-2021 08:30 PM
    Curious how to go about locating reputable credit card merchant services that are reputable to get bids from.  Any and all suggestions of services companies you have used would help us greatly.

Gwendolyn Smith
    Little Dude Mini Storage
    Conroe TX
    (936) 273-2727

• 10.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 04-26-2021 12:23 PM
    Hi there! 

I have been charging the processing fee to customers.  I was told Texas law allows this (however I have definitely got some mixed facts on this). It is normally $5 to $10 depending on how many spaces/units they have.  I run the accounting for a couple different companies and the amount of businesses that pass on the fee now is quite enormous so I personally have not seen the problem by passing it on. I have considered adding the charge into the rental price and giving a discount if they do not pay online and pay in office by cashiers check, money order, or cash, but have not made that transition yet.

Jeff Gatlin
    Hermosa Fuller Corporation
    Dallas TX
    (214) 320-2700

• 11.  RE: Credit Card Fees

Posted 07-07-2021 03:25 PM
    Hi All,
    Some very good questions here regarding convenience fees and payment processing. You can indeed pass the merchant processing fees along to the customer as long as you offer a form of payment for free. For example a check or money order. Some payment companies pitch this as zero cost processing as the net amounts are settled to you and the processor keeps the fees. Please note that any returns or disputes are still the responsibility of the merchant. One final note, these fees are not intended to be a profit, only to offset the actual expense of merchant processing. Happy to answer any questions you have regarding payments.

Joseph Huch
    Vice President
    Usio, Inc.
    San Antonio TX
    (210) 249-4073