Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Fire Hydrant/Plug

Posted 07-22-2021 11:47 AM
    Edited by Ryan Stalling 07-22-2021 01:17 PM
    Hello.  We are in the process of building a storage facility.  The county our property is located in has adopted the 2018 International Fire Code which states we must install a plug (i.e fire hydrant).  In speaking to the head of the water department, the water department/equipment doesn't have the capacity to support the pressure or GPM needed for fire department to pump off of.  The water department guy stated they will have would paint the hydrant black and the water would be turned off so it literally would be a VERY expensive and useless hydrant.  The nearest fire hydrant is 1 1/2 miles from our land but because the county has adopted the 2018 fire code, the Fire Marshal is stating it is a must.  Has anyone run into this same situation?  Is there a work around?  If it could support the GPM needed to pump off of, we'd be fine with it and call it a "cost of doing business" but the fact that it would be useless to us and the fire department and come at such a high cost, it's a hard pill to justify swallowing.

• 2.  RE: Fire Hydrant/Plug

Posted 07-23-2021 12:04 PM
    Ryan,

We ran into the same problem a few years ago on one of our sites.  We ended up having to install the fire hydrant as required even though they were not usable.  You might ask how long before the city plans to have the capacity to support a fire hydrant.  Maybe you can draft a document stating, "At the time when the water pressure is suitable for a fire hydrant one will be installed."  Maybe that will help you kick the can down the road.

------------------------------
    Justin Vosburg
    Affordable Attic Self Storage/Attic Corporation
    Harlingen TX

• 3.  RE: Fire Hydrant/Plug

Posted 07-23-2021 07:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Justin.  We did pitch the idea of putting something in writing stating that we would install a hydrant "once the county water department can support the capacity needed".  However, that was quickly squashed and we were informed 2018 code we must do it before we can start any phase of the build.  We may just have the pay the money to move forward but figured we'd reach out to see if anyone else had some insight as to what might be possible to delay or avoid when it's a pointless expense (at this point).

Ryan Stalling
    Grainery Storage
    Waxahachie TX
    (214) 934-0534

• 4.  RE: Fire Hydrant/Plug

Posted 09-27-2021 01:22 PM
    Hi, newbie trying to consider all the possible costs of building a storage facility where I am.
    How close does a hydrant have to be to the property?  There is one - 1/2 mile away, we are in county not city limits and plan on open/covered RV boat storage with some container storage.
    Thank you for any insight to fire hydrant requirements.

Joann Rogers
    Five Star Gutters & Services, Inc.
    Taylor TX
    (512) 944-3924

• 5.  RE: Fire Hydrant/Plug

Posted 09-29-2021 08:12 AM
    Hello
    It will be up to the powers that issue your building permit. I installed a fire hydrant when I built my facility in 2015 and this year am expanding with 2 more buildings. My city declared that I must have a 2nd hydrant on the other side of my building about 200 ft away from 1st. No fire hydrant no permit !!

Jeanne Dube
    Solid Ground Storage
    505 W US HWY 290
    Elgin, Tx 78621

• 6.  RE: Fire Hydrant/Plug

Posted 10-11-2021 05:16 PM
    talk to a local civil engineer, they will know exactly how the fire marshal interprets the code, it has to do with hose lay from the hydrant to the truck and from the truck to your buildings.

Ted Culbreth
    SBS Construction
    Boerne TX
    (830) 388-7611