Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-13-2021 10:54 AM
    Does anyone have a good solution for marking spaces on caliche/gravel/dirt? We have tried survey whiskers (labor intensive) , flexible poles, traffic cones, painted wood with numbers attached... It is difficult to pin something in the ground for customers to see and be flat enough to drive over... Our spaces are all drive-thru as well. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

------------------------------
    Keri DuBose
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 2.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-13-2021 01:03 PM

Rope with anchor bolts into the caliche/gravel/dirt. I haven't used it but the project owner's manager reported that it was easy and inexpensive to install and easy to change the unit mix simply by adding, subtracting or moving the ropes.

The property where it was used is Argyle Storage Co. on Hwy 377 just south of Denton. Danny Cunningham of M&M has it for sale.

George McCanse

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 3.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-13-2021 02:22 PM
    Thank you very much!!! 
    Great idea!! 

Keri

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 4.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-14-2021 04:01 PM
    Rope laying on the ground deteriorates quickly. Paint doesn't last. I tried numerous ideas but none worked until I used old railroad ties. You lay them on the space boundary line. Do not secure. They're big enough to see well. The driver knows when he hits one but it slides on the gravel so no damage done to vehicle or tie.  Drivers can move them to maneuver better into the space and them move them back proper.  I use them on all my pull-thru's and they work great.  You can buy bulk used railroad ties at several outlets. Inexpensive in that they last for years, take the weather, and the bumping and moving from tires.  They're not that pretty but they work great for pull-thru gravel parking spaces.

Michael West
    Alta Vista Business Park & Self Storage
    Keller TX
    (817) 431-3550

• 5.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-16-2021 02:46 PM
    Thank you! 
    We have tried landscape lumbers also. 
    I can see these would be more sturdy!

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566

• 6.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-15-2021 12:47 PM
    Hi, 

We used survey stakes (bright orange) and rubber mallet , placed every 10 feet as needed.  They are flat and okay to drive over.  We found that waiting until the ground was saturated from rain was the best time to install the stakes. 

Hope this helps!

Rhonda Gilde
    Spicewood Boat & RV Storage, LLC
    Spicewood TX
    (512) 756-3000

• 7.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-16-2021 04:51 AM

for space boundaries / lane markers: bury old tires, standing  upright, so only about  6" height is exposed. No damage if driven over. Will not rot or weather. You can paint the exposed tread a bright color o leave black / unpainted (which contrast well on caliche lots.  

For numbering spaces, cut the number out (like a stencil) in the upper half of a black truck mud flap. Place it over a white (or other color) mud flap and bury the paired lower halves. They're stiff enough to stand  up so the number can be easily seen, yet flexible if run over. Like an old tire tire, they practically last forever in weather /sun exposure.   

In addition to a self storage facility, I own an engine re-manufacturing plant, where we use mud-flaps for flexible liners in very abrasive cleaning machines - they out-perform everything on the market.

here's a link from a quick google search: www.raneystruckparts.com/24-x-30-color-polyguard-mud-flaps/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5OuNBhCRARIsACgaiqU8dI3G0zgP3Ka0qk19HD5fvgAwa-htDjAm7V1BTLNAHCklZG-zGQ0aArzQEALw_wcB

Tom Nichols
    PRES
    All-Store Mini Storage Division of Automotive Machine & Supply, Inc.
    Joshua TX
    (817) 558-6331

• 8.  RE: Space markers for boat,RV,TT

Posted 12-16-2021 02:44 PM
    Thank you very much!!

Bertram Jentsch
    Hunter Valley Storage
    New Braunfels TX
    (830) 627-4566