Construction and Development

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Shipping Containers Modified to become Storage Units

Posted 01-23-2022 10:56 AM
    We have an RV & Boat storage facility in Willis, TX.  We have 164 spaces and we are 100% occupied.  These are large covered storage spaces on a kaliche/portland base.  There are two open areas (corners) that we cannot build more covered spaces so we rent them for open storage (mostly boat & utility trailers).  I'm exploring the idea of putting two 40' containers that have been modified with 4 roll-up doors and partitions in each area.  This would give us 16 fully enclosed storage units.  Looking for feedback from operators who have either investigated this or currently doing this.  Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Brad Williams
    Conroe Lakeside RV & Boat Storage
    Montgomery TX
    (281) 610-3457

• 2.  RE: Shipping Containers Modified to become Storage Units

Posted 01-24-2022 09:43 AM
    Brad,
    There are several operators around the state that have done this. Doing your DD with the local municipality could save some time, money and heartache, as several of them will not allow containers. I have a little over 50 of these scattered throughout properties, and they have been leasing well for the last 2 years. There are some tax benefits that your CPA can help you with as well. 

Chris

--
    Chris Martin
    Ideal Self Storage
    225 N Industrial Dr.
    Waco, TX 76710

• 3.  RE: Shipping Containers Modified to become Storage Units

Posted 03-24-2022 11:09 AM
    Brad,
    I have also ordered a large number of shipping containers both 20' and 40'. The 20' "one trip" containers are great quality and I prefer renting the entire unit.  I have cut 4 roll up doors into the side of the 40' containers.  They are not as secure or watertight as the entire container but work very well.  We installed 4" C Channel red iron inside with metal R panels for the partitions.  You must install a small flat iron above the door to keep water out. This changes the shipping container into storage and allows for movement anywhere on site.  The downside is that this costs me more per sq ft to build than an actual self storage building package.

J.D. Blacklock
    Blacklock Storage, LLC
    Fort Worth TX
    (254) 717-0229 (cell)

• 4.  RE: Shipping Containers Modified to become Storage Units

Posted 08-14-2022 11:31 AM
    I am in the process of purchasing a business with 107 units and I have room to add more. Do you mind giving me an idea of what per sq ft to build you have been quoted if recent?

James Stegall
    Managing Partner
    JSVS Enterprises
    Burleson TX
    (907) 830-0188