Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Fair and Competitive Pay for small facility managers

Posted 03-29-2021 09:59 AM
    I would appreciate any advice, as I'd like to make sure the hourly pay for our managers is fair and equitable. We have two facilities, 200 units and 300 units. One manager at each location, 40 hours/week.

One location has free apartment and all bills paid by us. Both facilities are fairly rural.

Would love some feedback as to how much you are paying at similar-sized facilities.

We also have a retirement plan and help employees with medical expenses. Any other perks you all are offering?

Thank you!
    Peyton

------------------------------
    Peyton Bender
    Peyton's Place Self Storage
    Dallas TX
    (214) 828-4407

• 2.  RE: Fair and Competitive Pay for small facility managers

Posted 03-30-2021 08:49 AM
    Hi Peyton,

I found two blogs on the TSSA Website that may be helpful.

http://www.txssa.org/Online/Blog/Operations/Management-is-key-to-success.aspx

http://www.txssa.org/Online/Blog/Operations/Compensating-Your-Managers.aspx

Carol Price
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089

• 3.  RE: Fair and Competitive Pay for small facility managers

Posted 04-08-2021 10:01 AM
    Thank you, Carol!

Peyton Bender
    Peyton's Place Self Storage
    Dallas TX
    (214) 533-3722

• 4.  RE: Fair and Competitive Pay for small facility managers

Posted 04-09-2021 05:08 PM

Thanks Carol. I also read the blogs. I realize that markets across the state are different but would like to see some hard numbers. I have a manager that has been with me for 5 years and is up to $16.50 an hour. I have 2 facilities ran out of one office with 691 units. I do employ a couple of part time people to help out at times. I am finding that as I try to hire a new manager (my 5 yr manager is leaving) the market has drastically changed and the starting salaries now are at $16. Can anyone give me an idea if this is competitive?  I do give bonuses periodically. 

Thanks for the help. 

Jeanne Dube
    Solid Ground Storage
    Elgin TX
    (512) 281-5779

• 5.  RE: Fair and Competitive Pay for small facility managers

Posted 04-12-2021 09:10 AM
    Jeanne,
    We have experienced same issue with a much more competitive hiring market. We operate 20 facilities in Texas, varying sizes-most are in San Antonio/New Braunfels area. In our experience in central Texas is it takes $16/hr or more plus good benefits plus bonuses to attract the right candidates for managers. Our management model requires assertive, proactive managers who are given a fair amount of discretion to run their facility.

Mike Gately
    Trusted Self Storage Professionals