Let's talk about self storage.

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  tenant died

Posted 06-14-2021 06:30 PM
    I have owned my facility for a year and this tenant has never paid.  We talked to him last Summer and he said he just couldn't pay. We were not 100% working this business and showing some grace around covid shut down situation.  We are ready to clean out the mess.  We inherited this situation and the owner before us showed that he had not paid for over a year and a notice for auction was sent (But the former owner lived out of town and I have no proof that he followed through.).  SO, an auction MIGHT have happened, but the stuff is still there. 
    I was being a detective and looking for addresses and numbers and I found the guys Obituary!!! There were 4 children list and I was able to find the address for 2 of them.  Assuming that the former owner really didn't do an auction, Do I just send notice to the children?  What price should I state is owed for them to get the stuff?  Only the amount that I am out or the amount that the former owner had too? 

------------------------------
    Jennifer Douglas
    Permian Trinity Storage
    Odessa TX
    (432) 894-3301

• 2.  RE: tenant died

Posted 06-16-2021 09:18 AM
    Key question:

Did the original tenant (now deceased) ever sign the contract? (His children or someone else could have been putting things into  the unit thinking he had a valid lease.) Is there a signed lease?

Ginny Sutton
    Executive Director
    Texas Self Storage Association, Inc.
    Round Rock TX
    (512) 374-9089